The terms described below are commonly used on this website.
Distributed Generation (DG)
- A system where electric power is generated at various locations near the point of use (as opposed to at a central power generating facility).
Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
- A system that generates electrical power and also provides heat to meet all or part of the loads in a facility.
Operational Reliability (OR)
- Various measures or metrics that assess or quantify the reliability of a given system or technology.
- A commercial, institutional, or industrial location or site that has one or more Power Units installed.
Power Unit (PU) - An individual DG/CHP generation unit or system.
Monitoring Unit (MU) - A collection of Power Units at a facility that are grouped together for the purposes of monitoring.
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) - A US government system for classifying (by numeric code) business establishments (being replaced by NAICS).
North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- A North American system for classifying (by numeric code) business establishments (developed in 1999 as a replacement for SIC).